CALL US ON 0141 429 1356

T 0141 429 1356

T 0141 429 1356


Time is Running Out for GDPR Compliance- Is YOUR Business Ready?

HOME > Web Design > Time is Running Out for GDPR Compliance- Is YOUR Business Ready?

Are you prepared for GDPR? That’s the question that all business owners in the EU should be asking themselves right now. On the 25th of May, the General Data Protection Regulation comes into effect. These new laws will have a massive impact on the way that you collect and use data from customers, and if you don’t make sure you stick within them, you could end up facing enormous fines of up to €20 million. However, remarkably few businesses are fully prepared for GDPR. According to a survey by Dell, only 3% of companies have a plan of action for when GDPR comes into effect in May. Don’t end up being one of the other 97% and put your business at risk. Instead, let Soapbox Digital help you get GDPR-ready with one simple fix: contact form consent boxes.

What’s the Big Deal with Data?

Right now, “data” is the word on everyone’s lips. If you keep up with the news, then you’ll certainly have seen the recent stories on Cambridge Analytica. The company trawled the Facebook profiles of some 50 million people, and used the data they gathered to create political ads targeted specifically at each individual user. It’s alleged that their actions ended up swinging the U.S. election- which goes to show just how powerful data is in today’s digital world.

While it’s probably safe to say that your company doesn’t operate on anywhere near that scale, virtually every business nowadays does collect some data about their customers. Whether it’s tracking their IP address to give them targeted ads based on their location or storing their names in mailing lists and bank details in databases, companies have to follow a very particular set of rules when storing or using that data. Now, those rules are becoming even stricter, as GDPR aims to give people more control over who stores their data, and how it is used.

At the heart of GDPR is the concept of privacy. Before now, it could be extremely difficult for individuals to have much of a say in what happens with their data- as the Cambridge Analytica scandal goes to show. Under the new laws, though, if someone asks a company for the data they have on the individual, then the company is obliged to give them that data. If they decide that they don’t want that data to be stored anymore, then they now have the “right to be forgotten”- so the company will have to comply with their wishes.

How Will GDPR Affect My Business?

It used to be the case that sites could collect and use data about visitors through so-called “passive consent”. This meant that users automatically gave their consent to have their data collected and stored simply by using the site. If they didn’t consent to something or wanted to withdraw their consent at a later date, then they would have to take active steps to do so. This is particularly important because it covers something that virtually every website uses: contact forms.

When customers leave their details with you, most companies will want to use that information for marketing purposes. Right now, you can have a tick-box to give consent for this which is automatically checked. If the user doesn’t want their information used for these purposes, they have to actively untick the box. Once GDPR comes into effect, though, that will no longer be an option. Since users must now actively opt-in, instead of out, you’ll need to adapt your website accordingly. But you’ve got to act quickly- you only have until the 25th of May to bring your business up to speed. Luckily, since we’re web design experts here at Soapbox, we’ll be happy to take care of all the hard work for you!

GDPR Compliance

Soapbox Digital Will Bring Your Site Up to Date with GDPR

At Soapbox, websites are our bread and butter. We’ve built countless sites for a whole range of different customers, so making the switch to a GDRP-compliant consent box is something we can easily do for you. We’ll get things done quickly and for a remarkably low price, and you can rest assured that you aren’t going to get in any trouble regarding GDPR. With all the talk in the news right now about privacy and data security, it’s a safe bet that the authorities will be looking to make an example of anyone breaking the new laws. Don’t let your company be the one that gets caught out. Instead, team up with Soapbox Digital today, and we’ll bring your site up to standard right away!

CALL US ON 0141 429 1356 NOW

Web Design

What makes our websites different?



Looking to get found online?


Social Media

Like to see what we can do?


5/5 stars

Soapbox Digital Media

My new website is now number one for many of my terms and I have received a 20 times return on my investment in the first 3 months. I highly recommend Soapbox to anyone.